This is the best microwave risotto ever! For supper (we say supper for the evening meal on The Farm) the other night, I wasn’t up to the task of cooking risotto on the stove so I searched the internet for a Easy & Basic Microwave Risotto recipe. What I decided to try is featured below and I am so glad I did. The microwave risotto turned out perfect! I couldn’t believe how wonderful it tasted and all done in the microwave. This recipe was less labor-intensive, although I had to watch it so it didn’t boil over. Therefore, be sure to use a tall microwave safe bowl. I used a large glass Anchor Hocking mixing bowl and it worked great.
Here’s the recipe I found at allrecipes.com:
Basic & Easy Microwave Risotto
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- ¾ cup white wine
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a 3 quart, microwave safe casserole dish combine butter, garlic and onion. Place dish in microwave and cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Place vegetable broth in a microwave safe dish. Heat on microwave until the broth is hot but not boiling (approximately 2 minutes).
- Stir the rice and broth into the casserole dish with the onion, butter and garlic mixture. Cover the dish tightly and cook on high for 6 minutes.
- Stir wine into the rice. Cook on high for 10 minutes more. Most of the liquid should boil off. Stir the cheese into the rice and serve.
When I made the above recipe, I didn’t use the garlic or the Parmesan cheese. I cooked the risotto exactly like the recipe called for, except I would stop and resume the microwave periodically on Step 3 and Step 4 if I saw the liquid was getting too close to the top of the bowl and boiling over the edge. The original recipe, which can be found HERE, says you can substitute margarine or olive oil for the butter. Next time I’m going to try using olive oil instead of butter and see how it comes out. However, the above recipe was absolutely delicious!! Give it a try. You might not go back to cooking risotto on the stove!